From 23 to 24 May 2017 the ‘Incident Investigation Conference’ took place at IAC premises within the framework of the ICAO-IAC Regional Project (COSCAP-CIS) which had been organized at the initiative of and with the support of the Airbus Company. The Conference was attended by over 160 aviation experts from the Member States of the intergovernmental Agreement on Aviation and Use of Airspace (the Republic of Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Turkmenistan, and the Russian Federation). The Russian Federation was represented by most of interregional departments of Rosaviatsia, Rostransnadzor and experts from major airlines.
At the Conference reports were delivered by Airbus, IAC, Rosaviatsia, Volga-Dniepr airline, Air Astana, UTair, Two Wings experts on major topics such as flight safety analysis, risk management and safety analysis, continued airworthiness process and occurrence reporting, incident investigation process in Russia; operational events – RWY excursion, hard landings, turbulence etc.: the use of improved SHELL model for aviation occurrences investigation; investigation of occurrences during contracted maintenance; aviation occurrences investigation quality analysis; basic issues and the practice of their resolving within UTair Airlines’ SMS; some peculiarities of investigating incidents with bird strikes etc.
The following resolutions were adopted by the participants after exchanging experience and discussing reports:
1. The timeliness of the Conference and its positive impact on flight safety in the region should be recognized;
2. To express gratitude to the Airbus Company for the active support of the Conference, its excellent organization and interesting and informative presentations;
3. To pinpoint the importance of the information presented for the investigation of air incidents and preventive activities;
4. To distribute Conference materials among its participants for the use in daily practice as well as to post the materials on IAC’s website;
5. It was proposed to consider the possibility of holding similar conferences on special topics in the Member States of the Agreement in future.