|Aircraft registration number||RA-67480|
|Place of aircraft departure|
|Airport of departure|
|Intended Airport of arrival|
|Accident site||"Valday-Avia" landing place (Novgorod region)|
|Aircraft type||Cessna 172K|
|Aircraft operator||Private person|
|Aircraft owner||Private person|
|The date of the completion of the investigation (report)||02.08.2017|
|Number of fatalities||0|
|Degree of aircraft destruction||aircraft substantially damaged|
report_ra-67480.pdf (1.63 MB)
The accident with Cessna 172K RA-6748 private aircraft occurred at "Valday-Avia" landing place (Novgorod region) on July 16, 2016. According to the available information the pilot and two passengers on board were injured, the aircraft sustained substantial damage.
The Interstate Aviation Committee has assigned the Investigation team of the accident in accordance with the Russian Aviation Legislation. The Investigation team has started its work.
The Interstate Aviation Committee has completed the investigation of the accident with Cessna-172K RA-67480 private aircraft occurred in the Novgorod region (RF) on 16.07.2016.
The accident with Cessna-172К RA-67480 aircraft was caused by RWY overrun while attempting to abort the takeoff due to the insufficient speed rate increase that resulted in with obstacle collision.
Most probably the contributing factors were:
- installation of additional equipment, which was not prescribed by the manufacturer, and which increased the aircraft aerodynamic resistance;
- excessive take-off weight of the aircraft;
- probable engine power reduction, due to the use of automobile gasoline AI-95, instead of the required aviation gasoline with a minimum octane of 100/130;
- takeoff with flaps extracted in position 10° without holding the aircraft on the brakes before the take-off during the time needed for the engine into the take-off mode setting as it is stipulated by AFM;
- nose gear retraction at a speed of 71 km/h (44 MPH) that is below the speed of 97 km/h (60 MPH) recommended by AFM;
- possible incorrect understanding of the instrument speed values for the nosegear retraction; the calibration of US-450 airspeed indicator, actually installed on board is graduated in km/h, while AFM for the type aircraft gives all speeds in MPH;
- PIC's failure to abort the takeoff in good time.
Appropriate safety recommendations based on the investigation results were developed.